Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm beginning to see a pattern on Monday's


After last Monday's doctor visit for the hand, foot and mouth virus the biggest issue was getting Abram to drink. For the three recovery days he hardly ate a bite and as you can see I tried as many different cups as I could to encourage him to drink. We made it through and by Thursday he was back to his happy self.
Fast forward to today, another Monday. He woke in a great mood and was ready to eat breakfast, the usual cereal bar and two cups of mandarin oranges. Wyatt was eating peanut butter from a spoon when Abram said, "Bite?" I got one of his baby spoons and put a little on there and let him have it.
I left the room to brush my teeth and when I returned Abram was itching his eyes like crazy and the closer I got to him the worse he looked. I quickly took him out of his high chair and went to change his dirty diaper. It was then that he tried to say something and it sounded funny, like a frog in his throat. Funny since he had woke up fine that morning. As I hurried to change his diaper he started crying each time he tried to swallow and his face was swelling up with white little bumps everywhere.
Yelling for everyone to go to the van, we were heading to the hospital. I grabbed a coat, as I was still in my PJ's, a hat and put on the nearest shoes I could fine. My church shoes from yesterday.
I drove as quickly as I could with all intentions of heading to the ER. I called my husband and my mom. She had asked if he was breathing without wheezing and thankfully he was. The swelling on the other hand was out of control. Have you seen the movie Hitch when the main character played by Will Smith has an allergic reaction? It was that bad and my baby's face was unrecognizable.
Practicing my Lamaze breathing(I knew that would come in handy one day!)I called his doctor who told me since he wasn't wheezing to head straight to their office. The doctor was waiting for me as I pulled up.
"Oh my!" she said upon seeing my sweet, swollen baby. "Have you given him any Benadryl?" I had not so they weighed him and gave him the right amount of Benadryl. We then sat in a room and waited to see if the swelling would go down. That is when I got a good look in the mirror of myself. Whew! I looked rough :)
The other two boys were still in the van watching a movie. They were dressed in their PJ's with no shoes. I walked out to check on them several times and they contently sat in their seats and watched the show. I stayed parked by the front door.
30 minutes later they felt good with the progress of the Benadryl and no other measures would be taken. We are being referred to an allergist who will have more answers. The doctor told me to stay away from Chick-Fil-A since they cook their food in peanut oil. Surprisingly we have been eating there for months and have had no reactions. He has also eaten my Kashi bars that have peanuts in them with no reactions. I am not sure why we had a reaction today.
Half way home he threw up all over himself and his carseat, then fell fast asleep. I changed him once we were home and put him in bed. He didn't move for over three hours. I think I checked on him about every five minutes for breathing.
The rest of the day I have been a nervous wreck on what to feed him. He seems in great spirits and back to his happy self. It was quite a Monday morning I hope to never repeat again!

3 comments:

Lori said...

How horrible! So scary for you! Glad your baby boy is okay.

Jessi said...

Oh my goodness!!! I pray that you find some answers! I know what you're going though! Just keep Benadryl with you at all times!

Michelle said...

That sucks. What a strange thing. I wonder if it's a certain type of peanut butter that does it since he's had no reaction to the other peanut products.