Monday, May 04, 2009

Just When Things Are Going Smooth

Even though I have loved having my husband home 24 hours a day, I have to admit that having that one extra body to take care of has made me a little crazy.
Today I have dealt with the usual tasks of making three meals, cleaning up three meals, schooling two of my children, cleaning two of the bathrooms, delivering three meals to my husband in bed, filling and refilling the ice maker thing for the knee, redressing a very swollen knee-twice and more. I have actually liked(!)doing all the above, except today.
Today I have had many add-ons to the daily routine that remind me I am no super woman. After a fitful night I took Abram to the doctor. He has been running a fever since bedtime yesterday and is drooling buckets and buckets of slobber. He is attached to my hip whenever he is up and will not eat a thing, which makes him even crankier. Diagnosis? hand, foot and mouth virus. No drugs can cure it. The virus must run its course. "He will start to feel better in THREE days" the good doctor tells me. I give her the death stare.
For dinner we had the very tasty WalMart whole chicken. I have recently discovered the love of the already made juicy chicken and was excited not to have to cook. All mouths was fed, except me, I like to wait until everyone is in bed and I can eat in peace. The boys headed outside to ride their four wheelers.
In normal circumstances I would watch them, as they have the knack of getting into things they shouldn't. This particular night I lost my judgement.
Abram was already bathed and in bed, my husband was set for the night and I went to find the boys in the front yard. They had found the draining ditch with lots and lots of red mud. Look at them, they are so proud of themselves, no? They had already taken off their pants and rain boots and I had the privilege of cleaning it all up.
Unlucky for them I am a smart mama. As I drag the hose from the back of the house Cooper says, "Wait! That is cold water. We want to go inside to take a warm shower!"
"Sorry son, when you play in the mud the only way to clean it off is with the hose. I can't have you walking through the house like that now can I?"
It was freezing and hopefully they will think twice before playing in the mud. At least they will weigh their options, right?
Oh . . .upon returning to the house with my two freezing boys I noticed the dog had reach the counter and pulled the chicken off and was eating it. There goes my dinner.
I need a nanny.

4 comments:

Shelly Collins said...

How did you even have time to write this post?

Michelle said...

I wondered why you weren't at coffee talk tonight. Now I understand. I laughed so hard thinking of them getting sprayed with cold water and what was going through their little heads at that point ("no more playing in the mud! this is cold!!")

I hope tomorrow is better for you!! Tell Brian you need a spa day after taking care of him so much.

Cristie :) said...

Oh come on Mom! They took their boots and pants off....that's at least 6 things you don't have to wash!!!! Oh yes...spa day is much deserved...I happen to know where a really good massage is...just a short drive around the corner from you!!!!! :)

Jenny said...

Coffee Talk-I totally forgot of it!

Cristie-they had mud all over their pants & boots too. They had only taken them off before I had the camera. It was a HUGE mess :)